A necessity or just a certificate to win business?
We often, when providing bid writing support, get asked whether having an UKAS ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 14001 Environmental, OHAS 18001, 22301 Business Continuity or ISO 27001 Management System really is beneficial to a business or do people have them just to win tenders?
The honest answer is a mix of both. When we discuss the needs of a client regarding Management Systems we advise that it should not just be a certificate on the wall. It is an investment in their own business and therefore must show a return for that investment, see benefits realised.
The real and true benefits of having a management system in place include:
- Having full accountability at all levels within the business – More so with the recent changes
- Structured, agreed and proven processes
- Improved governance and management of the supply chain within a business
- Improved staff engagement through communication, feedback and training
- Regular internal and external audits ensure problems are identified, corrective actions taken and improvements made
- Improved and measurable customer satisfaction
- Improved efficiencies, effectiveness and effort of the business and the staff
- Competitive advantage is gained by having a management system or systems in place that have been audited by an independent, external certification body
- Helping you score maximum points on an ITT and, in many cases, allows a business to upload a certificate rather than having to answer lots of questions (not always though)
Does having a ISO Management System just help you win tenders? No, BUT it helps improve the operation of the business which means you can go on and win tenders / contracts by demonstrating you have a UKAS Certificated ISO Management System in place.
Does it prove a business is better than their competitors? It can, if your systems are operated and managed correctly and effectively and of course you maintain your certification.
What if a company just wants a certificate on the wall to say they operate an ISO Management System within their business? It is an expensive certificate to gain and maintain. If you bought a nice new shiny van for your business operation you would not normally leave it outside your offices just for show, you would make sure you achieved a return from your investment.
Boomerang Consultancy implemented ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 because we wanted to make a difference within our business
Having an ISO Management System is place is no different.
Boomerang Consultancy, in addition to the implementation of management systems, will also:
- Undertake Audits
- Undertake a gap analysis between an old and new standards
- Provide internal staff with a bespoke course on how to manage, maintain and audit your system(s)
- Provide you with retained support to effectively manage your management systems