A necessity or just a certificate to win business?
We often, when providing bid writing support, get asked whether having an UKAS ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 14001 Environmental, OHAS 18001/ISO45001, 22301 Business Continuity or ISO 27001 Management System really is beneficial to a business or do people have them just to win tenders?
The honest answer is a mix of both. When we discuss the needs of a client regarding Management Systems we advise that it should not just be a certificate on the wall. It is an investment in their own business and therefore must show a return for that investment, see benefits realised.
The real and true benefits of having a management system in place include:
- Having full accountability at all levels within the business – More so with the recent changes
- Structured, agreed and proven processes
- Improved governance and management of the supply chain within a business
- Improved staff engagement through communication, feedback and training
- Regular internal and external audits ensure problems are identified, corrective actions taken and improvements made
- Improved and measurable customer satisfaction
- Improved efficiencies, effectiveness and effort of the business and the staff
- Competitive advantage is gained by having a management system or systems in place that have been audited by an independent, external certification body
- Helping you score maximum points on an ITT and, in many cases, allows a business to upload a certificate rather than having to answer lots of questions (not always though)
Does having a ISO Management System just help you win tenders? No, BUT it helps improve the operation of the business which means you can go on and win tenders / contracts by demonstrating you have a UKAS Certificated ISO Management System in place.
Does it prove a business is better than their competitors? It can, if your systems are operated and managed correctly and effectively and of course you maintain your certification.
What if a company just wants a certificate on the wall to say they operate an ISO Management System within their business? It is an expensive certificate to gain and maintain. If you bought a nice new shiny van for your business operation you would not normally leave it outside your offices just for show, you would make sure you achieved a return from your investment.
Boomerang Consultancy implemented ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 because we wanted to make a difference within our business
Having an ISO Management System is place is no different.
Boomerang Consultancy, in addition to the implementation of management systems, will also:
- Undertake Audits
- Undertake a gap analysis between an old and new standards
- Provide internal staff with a bespoke course on how to manage, maintain and audit your system(s)
- Provide you with retained support to effectively manage your management systems